Fans of massively detailed 4X games rejoice! The venerable Dominions series is barreling towards its latest sequel: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith. Illwinter games has just announced that the new title is nearing completion and should be released on Linux, PC, and Mac this November. Talk about short notice!
Explorminate will be covering this game, but like you, we are just now learning about it. Thankfully, the good folks of Illwinter have given us a new feature list for Dom5:
- Real time combat
- Per unit combat logs
- Design your pretender’s bless effect
- Priest’s banishment and smite spells will depend on what type of god he follows
- History playback when game is over, see how dominion spread and provinces changed owners
- New random maps with bridges and better looking terrains
- New resource system with recruitment points that encourages recruiting in highly populated areas
- Fortifications built by starting at the basic type, then upgrading it later
- New research queue, researching is now one school at a time
- New movement system
- Winter shown on map and affects movement
- Dominion overlay on map to clearly show its boundaries
- New retreat system, good leaders can prevent units from dispersing in all directions
- Updated user interface with information more clearly presented than before
- New 3d-engine with better looking terrain, huge performance increase for good graphics cards
- More reliable network, now works on less than perfect connections too
- New nations
- Some old nations have been reworked and updated
- More spells, magic items, special abilities, events, monsters, titles, thrones….
More information about this will be released as we draw closer to launch. We wish Illwinter all the best with their new title. If you’re a fan of highly detailed fantasy 4X games or simply curious about what this new game has to offer, you can find more information about it on the developer’s official site HERE. If you still don’t know what to think, here’s our review for Dominions 4 as well as our Conquest of Elysium eXcursion. Stay tuned for more news.