Empty Keys Inc. has announced that their new game, Children of the Galaxy, is coming to Steam’s Early Access program. Empty Keys is a small studio with a lot of big title experience, including Top Spin 4 and both Mafia 2 & 3. This space-based 4X game that was recently Greenlit for Steam is their latest venture
- Unique Races – Each race has unique bonuses and different AI
- Turn-Based Combat with tactical elements – there are 7 unique ship classes
- Procedurally Generated Galaxy – each game has a different number of planets and quantities of rare resources
- Planet Colonization and Customization – 7 planet types to colonize. You can customize planet with constructions.
- Research Technology Tree – huge tech tree gives player multiple options for how to play the game
- Support for modding – players can change galaxy configuration, AI, races, missions, ships and planet constructions
- There is a public Trello, where anyone can see the team’s current progress and planned tasks. The AI part of the game is open source on GitHub
Planned Features (in Early Access):
- More unique races – the devs will keep adding new races during EA
- Complex diplomacy and espionage
- More technologies in research tech tree
- More victory conditions
- Complete AI
- More graphics (2D/3D), animations and effects
- More sounds and music
- More tutorials
- Race Designer
Children of the Galaxy can run on mid-level systems (Core i5 w/ AMD FX8350 VC), so don’t fret too much.
eXplorminate will have a Q&A with the developer up soon and look for more coverage for CoG as it enters Early Access.