Well, 4X fans, we have good news and bad news.
The bad news: Oriental Empires – previously covered here, here, here, and here – from Shining Pixel Studios and some of the fellows intimately involved in the creation of the original Total War, is no longer in closed beta.
The good news: Oriental Empires is now entering Steam Early Access! Huzzah! Now anyone and everyone can check out this 4X game set in Medieval China. We’ve already written that what we’ve seen of OE has us “pretty excited” so, y’know, it’s probably at least worth taking a look-see.
If you’re too busy to click the links above, here’s what OE offers:
- Lead a single nation or tribe, starting from humble beginnings. Expand your empire and develop your culture with the aim of becoming the universally recognized Son of Heaven and ruler of the world
- Persuade the other factions to recognize your prowess by either military force or by diplomatic persuasion
- Play as one of 16 different factions each with their own special bonuses or penalties
- Vast, beautifully rendered map featuring an attractive and authentic depiction of the landscape of China and Mongolia
- Large-scale battles with hundreds or thousands of soldiers, depicted in detail right on the game map. Watch skilled armies and reinforcements go to battle, according to the battle orders and formations set by the player
- Fully animated 3D models, with variations in face and clothing for each model, including infantry, cavalry, chariot and artillery units, as well as naval forces
- Long seamless zoom range lets you step right into the game world or zoom out for a strategic overview
- Improve your settlements by constructing buildings and developing the landscape around them, build markets and ports to enable trade by land and water
- Elaborate research tree including technology as well as cultural, philosophical, and religious developments
- Many other elements will determine the outcome of your quest for dominance such as leaders, sieges, unrest and rebellion, and Authority and Culture ratings
- As Emperor, set edicts, laws, and decrees to balance power and move into a glorious new Eras, with new technologies and military units that change as the game evolves
Sound good? Good. You can check out OE’s official website HERE. We’ve got a lot more coverage planned for OE as it edges closer to release, so keep your eyes here!